Friday, June 3, 2011

Bird view on robins

Robins are well known birds in our city.  No matter where you go you will find one on a branch or trying to grab a worm…

But what do they look like at the various stages of their life?

This year, I was blessed to see some fresh robin’s eggs in a nest on my neighbour Japanese Lilac.   I wish the robins had build their nest in mine but I am glad I can access it with a small ladder.

I saw mama bird building the nest over the past couple of weeks.  Last week, she was still at it.  Putting mud and other things.  Gently building it.    I thought I would wait a few days and go take a peek to see if there were some eggs.  *grin*   I never saw a robin’s egg before.  Seen it in pictures yes but seen it in the outdoors would be simply amazing… 

So this morning, I took the little ladder out of the furnace room in the basement and took it outside with my camera.   I climbed carefully.   Mama bird didn’t like this.   She flew out in the hopes that I would follow… I kept an eye on her and heard her cries.   She wasn’t happy whatsoever.   Carefully, I pulled a few branches and looked in the nest.  Two eggs.   Beautiful robin blue eggs.   I snapped a few pictures and came back down.   Dominic my child who loves animals big and small wanted to see.  He went up and peeked in.   He quickly came back down and was very happy to have seen them.  I think we were both blessed to have seen them…

RobinEggs

Last year, as we were driving to Boston for a few days of vacation, we stopped at a campsite in New York State.    In the play structure, there was a nest with baby birds in it.   I wasn’t sure which kind of birds they were.   After searching a bit I discovered that they were baby robins.     I snapped some pictures, told the kids to be careful and not touch them.

2010_05_17_19_34_262010_05_17_19_34_14 - modified

Even my then 2 years old daughter Jasmine observed them carefully!

2010_05_18_09_35_02

10 days later, we were back at the same campground for a night.   We wondered what the robins looked like.    So we ventured close to the play structure.  One flew out.   The others stayed in the nest.   Juvenile robins they were already.  In a matter of 10 days, they had outgrown their nest.   Impressive don’t you think?

2010_05_27_16_31_10

According to the Audubon Guide on Birds app, the American Robin (scientific name Turdus migratorius) can be found in Canada during the summer and is a resident of all of the USA (well almost all…. except some areas which are probably too hot for the bird).    It belongs to the family of Trushes.   Its colors are gray on the top and some red on the chest.   The head and tail of the males are black and dull gray for the females.   Younger birds will have spots on their chest.

Their song is a series of rich caroling notes, rising and falling in pitch sort of saying “Cheer-up, cheerily, cheer-up, cheerily!”.IMG_7126

You can find this bird in towns, gardens, open woodlands and agricultural land. 

The nest will contain 3-5 blue-green eggs in a well-made cup of mud reinforced with grass and twigs, lined with softer grasses, and placed in a tree or on a ledge or windowsill (see picture on the side).  Robins apparently have two broods a season.   The iBirdPro app also specifies that the incubation period ranges from 12 to 14 days and is carried out bu the female.

America Robin is known in French as a rouge-gorge or merle d’Amérique.   It feeds on wild and cultivated fruits, berries, earthworms, and insects such as beetle grubs, caterpillars, and grasshoppers.

If you feel like watching a Robin’s nest online these days, check out BirdCam.ca and keep your eyes open.  You might see some baby birds soon…

Welcome

Personal blog of a homeschool family. We love to travel with our RV when we can. Fishing, discovering new places, photography are some of our favourite activities!

Blog Archive

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

MCC Blog Grant Fall 2010

Photobucket

Canadianladybug Reviews!

Canadianladybug Reviews!

Followers

Faithful Bloggers

Homeschool Horizons Mag.

Photobucket