Today is the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire which happened in in 1871. The ifre leveled 3 1/2 square miles, destroying 17450 buildings and leaving 98500 people homeless and about 250 people dead. Loss of the city was estimated to 200$ million. Legend says that the fire began because the cow of Mrs O'Leary kicked a lantern in the barn on DeKoven Street.
On the same day - same year a fire destroyed the entire town of Peshtigo, WI, killing more that 1100 people. This one was a forest fire which burned across six counties.
- ► 2011 (467)
- ► 2010 (75)
- ► 2009 (38)
- Free book with new 2 year subscription....
- Another field trip... this time to a bird sanctuar...
- Will she have any teeth???
- Homeschool Crew News...
- It's Election Day...
- 6 quirky things about me...
- Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
- I'm done....
- Long week-end - Thanksgiving 2008
- Butterfly exhibit
- Did you know?
- Happy 25th birthday Cabbage Patch Kids!
- Fall day at Logos Land
- William Tell Mom
- Apple Picking Time
- Discovering my local library
- More than 10 years of junk...
- Not another craft that I like!!!
- ▼ October (18)